Information for PhD candidates
Within the R&D department of a company, researchers will focus their research on industrial issues or problems. For a dissertation, however, PhD candidates are required to undertake innovative academic research and publish original results. By participating in a Campus 2020 project, both aspects will be combined into a single project.
This wiki will support you with information about your relationship with your advisor and the company as well as the expectations and goals of the programme.
How to start?
- Learn more about the University of Leipzig
- Learn more about the faculty from which you intend to earn your PhD
- Learn more about Gaining a PhD degree in Leipzig
How to find project partners?
- Register to the Campus 2020 portal and log in
- Research existing Campus 2020 projects
- If you have your own research idea: Propose a Campus 2020 project
- If you want to work on research ideas of professors or companies: Apply to a Campus 2020 project
Getting a Campus 2020 project started
- Decide with your partners on how to get financed
- If you apply for scholarships or grants: Write a research proposal for the project
- Define the relationship between PhD candidate and professor
- Define the relationship between company and PhD candidate
- Sign a mentoring agreement with your professor
- Sign a Letter of Intent with your Campus 2020 project partners
Before coming to Germany
- Go through the Checklist of the International Centre and get all required documents
- Apply online via Alma Web and send your written application to the International Centre
- Wait for the letter of admission by the university
- Check whether you need a Visa
- Find out how to get health insurance
- Find out how to get a room in Leipzig
After arriving in Leipzig
Even once you have set foot out of the plane, you are not done yet. There are several important tasks to be carried out timely:
- Check whether you need to apply for a residence permit
- Go to the Authorities
- For enrollment as PhD student see the International Centre of the university and bring all required documents with you
- Register as a PhD candidate in your faculty
- If you will be employed by Leipzig University this guideline will help with administration rules and documents
- Start learning German
- Basics for Living
- What To Do In Leipzig
If you need any help from a German speaker (for authorities, forms, finding a flat etc.) please ask Ulrike Weber (firstname.lastname@example.org)
During your thesis
- For writing your thesis or papers you might like to use LaTeX. For working on the documents together with you supervisor or co-authors try ShareLaTeX. Please ask email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to get an account.
- Here are some other offers for (international) PhDs in Leipzig:
- Research Academy Leipzig (RAL) with workshops
- Welcome Centre They help international students with many issues.
- Career Service with it's current workshops
- Small Enterprise Promotion + Training (sept) with workshops and good connection to small and medium sized regional companies
- Internationale Doktorandeninitiative with events